Thursday, February 7, 2008

Battery Hack EXPOSED!

Ever see the video that a regular 6 volt battery contains up to 32 regular AA batteries inside? If you've never seen this tightwads' daydream, watch it here:

6 Volt Battery Hack! You'll Be Amazed! - video powered by Metacafe


Pretty amazing, huh? When my digital camera, which uses AA batteries, needed fresh input I remembered this hack and decided to try it. At the grocery store I bought one 6 volt battery by Eveready for $2.31. At home, armed with a screwdriver I pried open the top of the battery, which was quite easy after I got the hang of it.

Unfortunately, instead of finding a treasure of AA batteries I found this:

What in the heck are these?!? I know they're not AAs!

Nonetheless, I consider my $2.31 well spent in the name of science. Now I can stop looking greedily at the 6 volt batteries, imagining the wonderful secret hidden inside. I figure there are three possibilities to why I don't have any AAs from my 6 volt...

  1. Only certain brands have the AAs inside.
  2. The manufacturers changed their technique.
  3. The whole battery hack is a spoof to see if people like me would really do it.

What's your take? Does anyone know the answer? Please enlighten us in the comments section. I still need AAs for my camera, and now I'm $2.31 in the hole ;)

8 comments:

Melissa said...

You're a brave woman to dissect a battery! BTW, for my digital camera batteries, we found a great deal on a small charger and Energizer AA rechargeables. I think it was $7.99 for the charger and two batteries. I love it!

Angela Yuriko Smith said...

Melissa,

I think I'll be going the rechargeable route myself. I'll be watching amazon for some good deals. Let me know if you see one! Thanks for reading, and enjoy your chocolates;)

Anonymous said...

How could you think that there are all of those AA batteries in there? 32 batteries @ 1.5 volts ea = 48 volts...inside a 6 volt battery. Come on!

Here is another video from the same people. http://gagfilms.com/Carbatteryhack.html

Angela Yuriko Smith said...

I know...! I think I was blinded by greed....

Anonymous said...

13
Depends on the brand of battery
Submitted by Guest on September 20, 2007 - 10:16.

I bought a Rayovac Heavy Duty 6V and after cutting open the plastic casing I found four D cell diameter batteries that were about 1 1/2 times the length of a normal D cell.

Upon further investigation, I have discovered that the 32 AA batteries can be found in the 6V available from Walgreens.

Anonymous said...

not so fast, einstein. 4 series groups of 8 parallel cells each = 6 volts from 32 AA batteries.

come on!

Bill in NC said...

Those "same diameter, but longer than a D-cell" are F-cell batteries.

Same voltage, but higher capacity than a D-cell.

Duracell cheaps out and puts D-cell batteries in their 6V lantern battery.

Buy Energizer lantern batteries instead, or go on ebay and buy an 6V lantern battery adapter that lets you use D-cell batteries.

Anonymous said...

Check out http://www.kipkay.com/. His battery hacks are for real until the battery manufacturers wise up and change their methods.

The 'planetary' battery is the ultimate deal. This has been experimented with for a long time. Sounds like the earth batteries that the old time telegraph operators used.

The Walgreen 6v battery claim sounds like a spoof also.