Sunday, September 14, 2014

Illinois Update #2


So this morning I woke up to a horrible calf cramp (one that has kept me limping all day) but besides that I've had a decent enough morning. Usually my mornings begin at 11am with Tobi whining at my door to wake me up. From there we take our usual morning walk, a tradition we have held through any state, and then I'll go home and refill his food and water.

The funniest thing that has happened here since I arrived is the Highland, Illinois teachers have gone on strike. Literally, no school or school activities until they get a 6% raise. Beyond that, my main focus has been trying to find a job. Moving to another state doesn't excuse you from paying things like credit card bills and car insurance.

I've been applying for everything from Carhop at Sonic to Registrar at the local hospital. A job is a job... My friend, Amy knows a guy who knows a guy who happens to be the manager at the local Walgreens, so we're trying to get me onboard with them.

The day before yesterday Amy took me to the local thrift store to get me some warm clothes and some boots since the temperature here has dropped to 49 degrees. I was shivering in my flip flops (which actually broke shortly after I arrived) listening to them talk about how nice the weather was right now, and just wait until winter comes. Apparently last year you couldn't stand outside longer than ten minutes unless you wanted to get frostbite because it was below 0.

Sounds perfect for the Florida girl.

Besides looking for a job and walking the dog, I haven't done much else since arriving. I miss my family tons... but one foot in front of the other. Hopefully before I know it I'll settle in.

No comments: